K3 vs S-Line

This is an interesting topic.  Sherwood has made distortion measurements on
many many receivers.  As you see on his website, the K3 is far far better than
the S-Line.

The key measurements are dynamic range measurements—particularly with nearby
signals.  The radio is limited at the low end by its noise floor (and because
HF is so noisy you really done need super low noise floor).  But at the high
end, the receiver is limited by distortion and blocking.  The K3 and,
interestingly the KX3, are near the top of the list.  Far better than the old
Collins rigs.

I think what happens is we remember back in the 1960s when there were far fewer
hams and that old 75A4 really sounded great!  I fully agree—these radios did
sound great!

But today there are twice as many hams crammed into the same bands and is can
be really tough for receivers to discriminate without distorting.

If you want to see what I mean, try using your 75S3C during a busy contest then
switch to a K3.

As far as birdies, most radios have birdies.  Modern radios are so sensitive
and selective that they can pick up the digital modem two houses away on 6” of
wire. We live in a digital world and there are noise sources everywhere!  Even
in the K3.

I had birdies in my Icom 781, my WJ 8711’s and my K3. They were/are all below
the atmospheric noise level. Never a problem!   My PL noise was far worse.

Good topic, Bill!

John Perlick
Aria Corporation
www.ariacorp.com