The exception (There are always exceptions!) to what Bob writes below is
the type of vertical which requires a counterpoise, but not radials such as
quarter-wave.  This would include verticals like the Cushcraft R8.  These
do require a ground for static discharge protection.  But, as Jim, K9Y, has
pointed out numerous times, this ground is NOT for the antenna's
operation/radiation.  Buy Ward Silver's, N0AX, book on Bonding and
Grounding, if you can find it.  Jim's web site is free!

Don's advice on lightning is paramount for safety!  If lightning is within
10 miles, disconnect all antenna cables, and enjoy your food, beer, reading
material, etc.  We had two Airmen killed at Canon AFB NM when this
requirement was ignored.  Disconnecting antennas during last year's FD for
five hours dropped us out of the Top 20 in 1A by one!  However, unlike two
years previous, we suffered not equipment damage and, most importantly, no
operator damage.

Sadly, the Cibola National Forest just announced it will close down (about
95%) this Friday due to extreme fire danger.  I am seeking an alternative
that meets our criteria.  An EOC sounds enticing.  We will not operate in a
parking lot in North Central NM!

--
73, Bill, K8TE
Albuquerque DX Association, W5UR