I've mentioned this before, but it bears repeating.

There is this awesome program called POPFile. You can get it here: <http://getpopfile.org>

This is an automatic mail classifier based on "Naive Bayesian Filtering" but you don't need to worry about that.

Like all of us, I have some specific interests in what shows up on the list. I'd like something to sort them so that I don't have to.

Let's say I'd like list mail sorted into the following:

  KX3
  Portable
  Digital Modes
  Antennas
  Other

I'd grab a copy of POPfile and set it up on my computer (Windows, Mac, whatever).

I'd set up "buckets" for each topic in POPfile.

Then I'd set up folders in my mail client, one for each topic. The POPfile website tells how to set up your mail client to read headers added by POPfile and create rules to move the mail.

... then you have POPfile check mail.

First time, all of the mail will end up in the same place.

You go through and read some messages and "classify" them -- there is a link that lets you tell POPfile which "bucket" or "folder" the message goes in.

From this point forward, you scan the folders and reclassify only the messages that ended in the wrong place.

After classifying maybe a dozen messages, POPfile will get it right more than 80% of the time. It gets better fast.

If you're bothered by how much off-topic or uninteresting mail shows up on the list, this is your answer.

I gave a more complex example. You could just sort the mail into "cool" and "boring" if you like.

POPfile is free.

73 -- Lynn