Thanks Fred.  Your document mirrors what I have heard, in various versions,
from several local K3/KPA/KAT owners.  Your logic for leaving the tuner in the
“Manual” mode makes some sense but I wonder why the software command structure
does not automatically place the K3/K3s in the “Tune”mode when the “Tune”
button on the KAT500 is pressed.  Having to press two “Tune” buttons in
sequence seems a bit crude for an otherwise elegantly integrated system.

But!  Thank you for your input Fred.  It is clear.  Some input from Wayne as to
his views on the implementation of the K3/KPA/KAT tuning system would also be
welcomed.

The reason I just ordered the KAT500 was because of a recent catastrophic
failure of both VRF2933s in my KPA500,  While the failure was covered quickly
and completely by Elecraft’s near perfect warranty I want to do whatever I can
to insure it doesn’t happen again.  My goal is to achieve as much automated
protection as possible.

Very 73 - Mike - K9JRI