I suppose that you're addressing this to me, but since you didn't quote any prior message, who knows.

I realize that Elecraft's position is that VOX is a no-no. However, CAT is a PITA no-no for me, particularly when Microsoft reassigns comports Willy-Nilly.

There is a reason for using "real" split and that's to get audio IMD products out of the passband.  Except for chasing the KH1 operation, I've abandoned FT8 and haven't been keeping up, but at one time it was agreed that WSJT-X sends a split command to the K3 at the beginning of each transmission and waits for a response back before actually transmitting.  Hence the delay.  I fail to see how anything done in Task Manager will fix this.  It's a non-issue on receive.

N7WS