I've experimented more with the available selections but I still don't see why
my KAT500 does what is does.

Here is a specific example of a case that I don't understand:

My configuration for 40 is Enabled 2 and 3.  Preferred 2

My configuration for 20 is Enabled 1 and 3.  Preferred 1

I select Auto and TX on 40 - Ant 2 is selected automatically and only 2 and 3
are manually selectable (all as expected)

I select Ant 2 and then select Bypass

I TX on 20 - Ant 2 remains selected and high SWR is shown

I attempt to manually select Ant 1 but only 2 and 3 are selectable

I select Auto and Ant 1 is auto selected.  Now Ant 1 and Ant 3 are manually
selectable.

When in Bypass, either the Antenna selection should not be inhibited by the
selection table, or it should be forced to match the selection table.  What I
see is that is forced to mismatch what's in the selection table.

Would someone at Elecraft please try to duplicate this test sequence and
explain why it should work this way.  (I don't have a K3 and there is no
frequency input to the KAT500 except for RF).

Thanks and 73,

Andy k3wyc