John,

Use the 1/2 inch long black screws - the 'silver' screws are for mounting
the feet and are only 7/16 inch long.
They will fit - look to see that the heat sink is almost in contact with the
2D connector - if it is more than the thickness of the thermal pads away
from the 2D connector, then you have something physically wrong.  The screws
project about 1.5 mm, but you can get the lockwasher and nut on them.  The
screws do not come all the way through the nut, but almost.  If necessary,
put the screws into the 2D connector first.

73,
Don W3FPR