Re:  "But here's the trick: hold the RATE(KHZ) button. It should unlock.
Don'task how I figured this out."

It is in the Owners Manual at the top of the "Menu Functions" table.  Page 35
in manual revisions B5 thru C5.  It says:

"To change any tech-mode parameter, you must first unlock it by holding KHZ for
about 3 seconds.  This turns off the lock symbol."

If you have the optional KXFL3 filter board installed, it can be the source of
much of the tuning noise on the early serial number units.  A simple mod to the
roofing filter board is described here:

http://www.elecraft.com/manual/KX3%20Tuning%20Noise%20Mod%20rev%20B3.pdf

I highly recommend that mod.  Before I did it, I could not hear any signals
while tuning across the band on 28mhz and higher.  It is simple, and probably
took me less than 15 minutes.  It eliminated almost all the tuning noise on my
s/n 3500 KX3.

Mark,
KE6BB