Get an inexpensive RS-232 breakout box.  The LEDs and jumpers will help you
see what is happening on the data and control lines and enable you to
make/verify any cable you need.  Compact gender changers address the
male/female connector issue as well as the 25 pin/9 pin conversion.  I
still have a couple boxes that I used back in the 70s.

Ken
WA2LBI

--

Ken