On 7/10/2018 9:13 AM, j...@kk9a.com wrote:
Yes you can run three conductor
Romex and have a 120v and 240v outlet but I do not see this as a good plan
as it could easily exceed 20 amps on one leg. Upgrading to higher amperage
circuit and you'll exceed the amperage rating for a standard 120v outlet.
Two separate circuits are much easier to manage.

It's hard to imagine how 20A on a 240V circuit split to 120V outlets (with neutral) could be exceeded in a single operator ham station running legal power, and powering only ham gear from that circuit. Let's say that the power amp is drawing 15A keydown. That's 3.6kW, and you still have 5A at 120V on each of the two legs. Now, let's say that you have an Astron 14.4V supply running on one of those outlets powering a tranceiver, even two or three tranceivers, only one of them TX at a time. I find it hard to believe that the Astron draws more than 3A, probably less. Add an old big iron computer to the other leg, maybe 1A on that leg. Indeed, a second power amp could be running off that circuit as long as only one is in TX mode at a time!

73, Jim K9YC