The problem with relying on RF detection is that the station is configured
after TX starts rather than before TX starts.   Perhaps for some owners this is
not an issue.  For me it is a significant issue.  If the band change requires a
change of antenna then my LP-100A may alarm on SWR before the KAT500 switches
to the  correct antenna and all the tuner relays clunk over to the proper
selections.  I much prefer to have my equipment configured before I transmit.

My first approach was to drive the KAT500 band discretes with band band data
derived from the KPA500 BN; response.  This worked well.  I then took on the
challenge of deriving the exact TX frequency (to nearest 1 Hz) from FA, FB, and
IF.  When this information is fed to the KAT500 then the band discretes are no
longer needed.  Now the KAT500 not only selects the proper antenna before TX
but it should also select the proper memorized tuning solution for that exact
frequency.

I have some more works to do and that includes optimizing the integration of my
KPA500 and LP100 data logging with control of KPA500, KAT500 and SteppIR
SDA-100.   I wanted to know what I had missed in K3 integration advantages so I
can decide how best to implement the final solution.

I had no Arduino experience before I started this project.  It has turned out
to be fun and rewarding (and sometimes quite frustrating).

73,

Andy k3wyc