You do NOT need to use the band data lines. Please read the SPE 1.5K-FA manual, et al.  CAT via RS232 works fine/better.

There are also other functions you can use.

Watch this video for what you need to know and a lot more...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku8Gyl0amRY

73,

Clay Autery, KY5G
(318) 518-1389