Folks - Let's keep it polite and non-personal.

Eric
Moderator
/elecraft.com/

On 8/17/2018 10:27 AM, j...@kk9a.com wrote:
What is the Oh Jeeze about? I found K5UA's efficiency data surprising that
the amp dissipates nearly the same amount of heat regardless of power
level. Your comment was "I really do NOT understand why this data is so
surprising." You obviously know much more about RF amplifiers than I do. I
subscribe to this list to learn. So, my next question was if the heat
generated is approximately the same with all power levels, why do RTTY ops
use lower power. I am assuming that heat is what destroys finals or other
amp components. Perhaps there is a power supply limitation or that tube
amps have a more linear efficiency so lower power really means less heat.
Of course RTTY has a higher duty cycle than CW and SSB, that was not my
question. The RTTY duty cycle is the same whether you run 500 watts or
1500. If the amplifier heating is about the same at both power levels due
to higher efficiency at higher power than why not use the maximum power
for RTTY (assuming that you have an antenna and coax that can handle it)?

John KK9A

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy 7 edge, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone.

Charlie K3ICH wrote:

Oh Jeeeze.......

Almost ALL amps in current use are NOT rated for continuous power output.

Only the most recent SS amp builders which use devices themselves rated for
3x or 4X their rated output would dare to specify 100% duty cycle.

Only a few tube type amps are rated at 100% duty cycle too and they also use
severe over-kill in their PA devices, such as a pair of 8877's or maybe
three,  3-500ZG's etc.

I would venture to say that 85% of the current amplifiers in use today are
NOT rated for 100% duty cycle, so THAT's why they back off on the RTTY
output.

73, Charlie k3ICH