OK I'll give you that.  A 592 signal  WILL in fact, sound different from a 599
signal.

Chas

-----Original Message-----
From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net <elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net> On
Behalf Of Clay Autery
Sent: Monday, August 20, 2018 10:38 AM
To: Elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] KX3 DX

What you just posted is a combination of fact, fiction, and oversimplification.
I can absolutely discern the difference between signals received from better
and lesser transceivers if the disparity in transmitted signal quality is
sufficiently large.
Conversely, I am routinely complimented of the "clean" quality of the signals I
send and the fidelity maintained in them from folks that have no idea what my
equipment is.
Not ALL 5 watt transmissions are created equally....  that can be demonstrated
both qualitatively as well as quantitatively.
Some transceivers are superior to others.  Tyat is a simple fact.  Even with
two identical transceivers, one then must consider proper calibration, setup,
and ancilliary equipment....  power supply, microphone (huge potential diff
especially in concert with pre-processing of signal put into transceiver front
end), grounding, and then of course....  the ANTENNA SYSTEM composed of
everything from the antenna connector to the tip(s) of the radiator(s) and
return paths.
5 watts into a dummy load is most definitely not the same as 5 watts into a
practically perfect radiating system....
Even into 2 practically perfect radiating systems, ground, elevation, et al.
come into play....
Enough of that...  point made...
To the OP....Great QRP contact, N9AA....  keep it up, Scott!
73,Clay, KY5G

-------- Original message --------From: Charlie T <pin...@erols.com> Date:
8/20/18  06:54  (GMT-06:00) To: Elecraft@mailman.qth.net Subject: Re:
[Elecraft] KX3 DX Admittedly, the Rx plays a part, but the ham on the other end
of your signal can't tell the difference between a KX3 and a 6AQ5.

As the saying goes, "Five watts is five watts".

I think what you're actually saying is that you're amazed at what can be
accomplished at QRP power levels.

Remember, if you are being received at 20 dB over S9 while running a kilowatt,
you'll still be S5 at 100 milliwatts.

73, Charlie k3ICH