Bias on and off applies to the front panel mic Pin 1 as well as the tip of the rear panel jack. It depends on whether you have the FP or the RP selected.

Some Kenwood desk mics do use the power pin, but those Kenwood mics use pin 5 instead of pin 6 for power, so you would have to re-wire the mic plug to use them.

73,
Don W3FPR