Lloyd,

Do you have the 2 diodes to permit using a hand key in addition to paddles (auto-detect)?

If so, try removing the diodes to see if it works - Turn off auto-detect.

Do you have a microphone connected? If so, remove it on the possibility that there may be a mic problem with the PTT switch.

If no diodes, put a 1/8 inch stereo plug in the key jack and short across the tip and sleeve contacts and then across the sleeve and ring. See if either the dots or the dashes become extended. If not investigate the external cable(s) to the paddles.

If you have trouble with just the stereo plug, the next suspect is the key jack - although they seldom fail (I have only 2 in all the K2s I have serviced), that is the least expensive possible fault.

Eliminating the above as a problem, the only thing left is the firmware.