Chris,

Which flavor K2 do you have?
Base K2 only
Base K2 with KAT2
K2 with KPA100 installed

The bottom line is that there is no indication of power output being fed back to the MCU on the VRFDET line, so the MCU tries to ramp up power to produce more output - and it will go to its maximum capability.
For the base K2 only, look at the D9 RF Detector and its circuit.
For the QRP K2 with the KAT2, it is the wattmeter in the KAT2.
If it has worked before, it is likely diodes D1 and D2 in the KAT2 - replace them. If it has never worked, make certain T1 is wound correctly, including the direction of the winding. If the reverse of what is shown in the manual, rewind it EXACTLY like the diagram in the manual.

If the KPA100 is installed, and has worked before, it is likely diodes D16 and D17. If it has not worked before, check T4, it must be wound EXACTLY like the diagram.

Turn the CAL CUR setting up to 3.50 for either the QRP K2 or the KPA100, and make sure the power supply voltage is 13.8 or greater under full power transmit load.

73,
Don W3FPR