Almost everything was black (mostly wrinkle) at one time.  The A-line Collins
radios, while technically not black, were black enough.

One of the problems with “decorator colors” is matching paint from batch to
batch.  Heathkit SB-line radios were “Heath green”, but they were not terribly
careful about matching.  So if you got two cabinets painted in different lots,
odds are the greens weren’t quite the same.  I think WRL “gray” was also a
variety of shades, some tending towards greenish.  It wouldn’t necessarily be
obvious in a standalone situation, but when you lined up the cabinets the color
differences could really stick out.  I remember that my 1970’s SB-640 external
VFO was way off from the SB-102 I’d built a couple of years earlier — both
front panel color and cabinet color.

You can always pay the price for a Hilberling, since the PT-8000A is available
in quite a few different colors, and the Sienna from DZKit, too :-)

Grant NQ5T
K3 #2091 KX3 #8342