Mike:

> On Sep 2, 2018, at 11:27 AM, Michael Blake via Elecraft
> <elecraft@mailman.qth.net> wrote:
>
> When the KAT500 is powered on but in the Bypass mode will it still open the
> key line to the KPA500 at the preset level (3.0:1 in my case) if the load
> suddenly goes above 3:1?

To confirm, is your SWR 3.0:1 or 2.0:1??

According to the KAT500 manual (page 21) you can use the KAT500 Utility Program
to set VSWR thresholds for keying an amplifier, “Also, you can set an SWR
threshold at which the key line will not close to enable the external amplifier
to protect it from excessive SWR.”  These thresholds can be set for all bands
or individual bands.  This would presumably work with bypass mode as bypass is
defined as bypassing the tuning elements in the tuner’s matching network while
the tuner’s SWR meter continues to function and the antenna selector will still
switch to the antenna chosen for a particular band.

I haven’t made adjustments using the Utility Program so I cannot speak from
personal experience nor do I know what the default values are for VSWR
threshold as I’m not currently where my ham station is to confirm.  You will
need to experiment carefully to ensure that you get the intended results.

Also keep in mind that the KPA500 protects itself.  See page 19 of the KPA500
manual (“Fault Conditions”) which discusses SWR measurements by the KPA500
itself where “minor faults” in VSWR will result in a 3 dB reduction in output
(“Attenuator Faults”) and continues to operate (if the SWR improves the
attenuator is removed).  In the case of severe SWR problems the amplifier goes
into standby (“Hard Faults”). Hard faults require intervention by the operator
to place the amplifier in ‘operate’ presuming that the cause of the excessive
SWR has been resolved.

The more basic question is what SWR levels the KPA500 will operate. According
to the KPA500 manual (page 17) the amplifier is designed for 1.5:1 or less (the
amplifier SWR LEDs are green).  Between 1.5 and 2.1 the LEDs are yellow, and
above 2.1 the LEDs are red.  I could not find a reference in the manual that
defines at what SWR level an “attenuator fault” or a “hard fault” due to high
SWR are generated, but this suggests that an attenuator fault presumably
happens when SWR is above 2.1 which is why I’m wondering if there’s a typo in
your first sentence regarding current SWR.

The KAT500 manual (page 21) also notes, “The Elecraft KPA500 amplifier also
works efficiently into a load SWR of 1.5:1.  Suggested values are 1.8:1 to
launch an automatic tuning operation and 1.2:1 for bypass.”

Hope this helps,

Barry Baines, WD4ASW
(Currently in Boston, MA)