From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Paul Christensen
Sent: 02 September 2018 14:01
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [Elecraft] internet speed for remote K3S

>"My experience is exactly that; look out for latency; that is the killer."

Apart from use with satellite-based services (e.g., Hughes, maritime VSAT,
etc.), I've found latency is reasonably low even from hotel and 4G
connections.  Jitter will almost always be the dominating factor, especially
when using a remote CW connection.   I won't even try satellite remoting;
it's a horrible experience.  From home or when roaming on my iPhone 's WiFi
hotspot connection, my QSK CW experience is almost as good as a local
connection.  The remote site is on Verizon 4G/LTE service with a 30 GB/month
plan.

I use PingPlotter software that shows typical ping time under 50 ms. from
home to my remote site about 30 miles away.  The longest measured latency is
the link between the Verizon cell site and the 4G router at the shack.  That
comprises about 50% of the total latency.  In between, the service changes
hands among several internet transport providers.  I just ran a quick test
and see 12 hops before it gets to the destination.  The path changes from
day-to-day.

Back to the OP's question of "what speed will give satisfactory results?"
Assuming a K3 with RemoteRig, look at the RemoteRig manual, Appendix A for a
table that illustrates data consumption as a function of bit rate and
whether dual-channel audio is engaged.  For example, 12-bit linear, 2
channel audio (for dual receive) requires 240 kbps.  That's not much data.
Of course, there's going to be other overhead when running applications on
the same link.  Any of the high speed "light" packages will work fine with
the RemoteRig unless using high bit-rate settings.  I've noticed no
operating issues when using an account with 1.5 Mbps download and 500 kbps
upload speeds and when either VNC or TeamViewer is running in the
background.  My iPhone's WiFi hotspot typically gives 10/5 Mbps service as
long as there's ample 4G/LTE signal strength.

Paul, W9AC

delivered to d.cut...@ntlworld.com