George,

Actually 53 degC is not that hot. Look at the specs for semiconductors and you will find that is only a medium temperature.

Actually at 500mW, it is unlikely that the KX3 will be damaged by even a continuous key-down.

If you are operating it outdoors, you should keep it out of direct sun.

If it concerns you, I would suggest adding one of the aftermarket heatsinks.

73,
Don W3FPR