From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Gmail
Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 4:24 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [Elecraft] Franklin antennas

KDKA, Pittsburgh, still has a Franklin, they are not a center fed vertical.
both the bottom and top sections are end fed. The purpose is to lower angle of
radiation and reduce skywave and selective fading.  KDKA has a motorized
capacitor on the top section.  Both stations have extensive ground systems that
would not be needed if they were dipoles.
KDs antenna was replaced in 1994. Still a Franklin as changing the antenna
would have required a power reduction with the “ratchet rule”.
Ray
W8LYJ
Formerly with Group W Engineering, owner of both stations until recently.

http://www.durenberger.com/documents/KDKANEWTOWER.pdf
Sent from my iPad

Message delivered to c...@cfcorp.com