Two years ago I entered the CQWW160CW contest with 5 watts and my KX3.  I
placed 5th in North America and worked all over the world.  I went
fearlessly up and down the band answering CQ's, most of which answered my
first call.  I guess I should mention that my antenna is a full sized
quarter wave elevated ground plane made from Rohn 45 with insulated
broadcast section at the feed point, which is 27 feet above ground.  There
are 7, full sized radial suspended at 27 feet, drooping to 15 feet at the
ends.  My QTH is on a high ridge, more than 300 feet above average terrain
for 30 miles in each direction.  Electrical noise level is low and I don't
use receive antennas.  I guess the old saying from real estate is
applicable... location, location, location.  The antenna is the key factor,
but the radio is incredible.

73,

Dave, K4TO