From: Dave New, N8SBE <n8...@arrl.net>
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2018 8:43 PM
To: Paul Smith; elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: RE: [Elecraft] My KX2 may be sick

Paul,

Check your KXPD3 keyer paddle.  It turns out that early versions had screw
heads that were a bit too long that stuck out the back side of the paddle
housing, causing a short to the chassis, if the heads bit through the black
paint.

I have one of these, and it worked fine until the screw head on one side
managed to work itself through the paint, then suddenly I was getting ERR KEY
on power up.  Elecraft service has shorter screws to fix the issue.  I just put
a small patch of black tape on the bare metal chip location under the paddle
housing, and all is OK.  Some day I may ask for the modified screws (or paddle,
if it has to be replaced as a unit).  Fixing the chip in the black housing is
another matter entirely.  Shame it happened on a practically brand new radio.

73, hope that helps,

-- Dave, N8SBE