From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net <elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net> On
Behalf Of Buddy Brannan
Sent: Tuesday, October 9, 2018 11:21 PM
To: Elecraft <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] [KX3] Re: AX1 Order Page Up but Broken?

Reputable companies don’t make mistakes? Oh yeah…that’s pretty funny right
there. For serious dude. S**t happens. C’mon, you can’t seriously believe this.
The biggest of companies have made mistakes in website addresses, software with
bugs that didn’t get squashed in time, you name it. But let’s talk about
Elecraft in specific for a minute, because, yeah, impugning Elecraft’s
character is kind of personal. For me, anyway, and, I suspect, for others here.

First, longevity. Do you really think that a company, especially one serving a
close-knit community like hams, would really be able to survive that long, and
more to the point, with such a loyal following as Elecraft has? Elecraft has
been here for 20 years more or less, and far as I know, it’s not showing any
signs of going anywhere.

Second, track record. Track record with Elecraft is one of those good news/bad
news scenarios. Good news: they don’t release somethinguntil it’s ready and
relatively bug-free. Nothing is completely bug-free, and certainly when you’re
talking about software-defined things, features can be added or completed
later. If hardware modifications need to be introduced, they are introduced at
reasonable cost, free if possible, generally user installable, and without
resorting to “Oh hey, here y’all, buy another radio.” The downside to this is
that sometimes, they are, as they say, over optimistic about release dates, so
preorders may go unfulfilled for longer than the preorderers would like.
Except, and here’s the good part, they don’t actually charge you until your
preorder ships. Oh, I expect that they could, and most people wouldn’t complain
too loudly, but they don’t. The worst thing that we have to deal with is…a
wait. Such a first world problem. Rememberthe KX3? I do. I bought myself one as
a sort of 25-year hamiversary present to myself. And I remember well the nail
biting as its initial shipping dates slipped. But eureka, I got one, and I even
got one before field day, and I even got one with a sub-500 serial number. And
that was with an order that was, what, the day after Christmas, maybe 12 hours
after the ordering window opened. Would a not reputable company achieve such
loyalty that *that many* people stood in line for *that long*?

OK, now let’s talk about service. One year warranties are pretty standard. But
these guys will really go that extra mile for their customers. Everyone from
the sales and customer service folks, to the tech support and repair folks, up
to and including Wayne and Eric themselves. If something happens during any
part of the resales to way after care, all of those guys bend over backwards to
make it right. I’ve seen some cases where guys were offered a full and complete
refund because they were that unhappy with some aspect of their Elecraft
experience, and that very far outside the normal sort of parameters. Elecraft
stands very firmly behind their offerings, and the ham community has taken
notice. It’s no accident that new stuff is as eagerly anticipated as it is.

Finally, and really I mean it, because if you’ve read this far you probably
wish I’d shut up now please, there’s Wayne and Eric. They’re both on this list.
They respond to emails personally. They offer help and guidance themselves.
What other major ham radio company are you going to see that much hands-on
involvement with the unwashed masses? Sure, it’s true that they’re both active
hams, use the gear themselves, and likely as not, build things that they
themselves love to own? Heck…Wayne said as much about the KX3 and the KX2.
Look, these are top notch guys, straight up, passionate, and with a real heart
for both the hobby and the community…not just the hardware. I’ve had several
pleasant emails exchanges with Wayne, who was always patient, always gave me
his full attention, and was never dismissive of my admittedly niche concerns.
In short, when you question Elecraft’s integrity, you question *their*
*personal* integrity, and I, at least, will stand up against that. For what
it’s worth, which is, admittedly, very little.

Anyone care to refute any of these points? Bring it.

Vy 73, de KB5ELV

delivered to ksto...@ac0h.net