On May 23, 2006, at 9:38 AM, Darwin, Keith wrote:

Last night on 40 meters, there was a pile up on this S9+20dB signal. He
was sending pretty fast - P40A (or was it P40N?).

P40A. I worked him, too.

He wasn't S9+20. More like S9+40 here in Georgia. Sometimes he lit up every segment of the S-meter.

Working him was easy. He had a TON of callers, so it isn't surprising he needed some repeats. I put in a late call, he came back to AA4R, I resent my call twice and he came back with the correction. He was a quick and efficient op.

  I gave him a call.
He came back to another station.  After the next QRZ, I called, paused
then called twice.  He came back to me ...

KD1E?

I answered KD1E KD1E 5nn 5nn BK

You should have just sent the call twice.

He answered KD1E?
I slowed just a bit and repeated KD1E KD1E KD1E  5nn 5nn 5nn BK

You didn't have to slow down, you should have just sent the call twice.

KD1E QSL 5nn TU.

So who is this?  A DXpedition?

Likely someone warming up for the CQ WPX CW this weekend.

And more importantly where do you find info on stations like this - you know, the ones with the odd calls that appear and disappear from time to
time.

There are lots of DX bulletins, most of which you have to pay for.

Perhaps the most up-to-date source is the DX packetcluster (although most people access it through the internet these days).

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901