I indeed had MIC BTN on, and turned it off. I the KX3 still didn't go into receive when I pressed the "Halt Tx" button. (MIC BIAS was already off.)

Another issue I didn't mention before seems to have gotten worse. Sometimes pressing the "XMIT" button on the KX3 doesn't take it out of transmit mode. When I press it it stays in transmit. Press it again and it still is in transmit. It finally goes into receive when wsjt-x gets to its receive phase.

I am still having problems developing a mental model of what is actually happening here. Maybe I'll have to download the wsjt-s source code and start reading code again. But that's what I retired from years ago. :-)

73 Bill AE6JV