There was recently an exchange here about connecting the keying line from a KX3
to a KPA500 amp, specifically about which parts of a TRS plug to use.  There is
an additional item of importance, which I believe I saw in one of Fred Cady’s
texts.  If the operator is also using the KAT500 tuner, the keying line must go
to the tuner first, then from the tuner to the amp.  The tuner is designed to
inhibit the amp during a tuning cycle.  For that to happen, the key line should
go from the KX3 to the KAT500 directly.  Maybe someone can confirm my
recollection about this.

Ted, KN1CBR