Brian,

The Keying line should not need buffering. It is either an open circuit or a closed circuit.

Yes, you may be asking for trouble if you attempt to use the AUX cable with a long length.

So connect it for the basic mode connections only. KeyOut from the transceiver to the KAT500 and then from the KAT500 to the amplifier KeyIn.

73,
Don W3FPR