Norm and all,

I bring mine down off the shelf every so often (a 4 bander), but not as often
as it deserves!  I still remember how much fun it was to build it, and how
exciting it was when everything worked as predicted!!!

The KX1 sort of lost momentum, partly due to subsequent alternatives, and
partly due to lack of parts availability.  When I first built mine it was only
a two bander with two different boards to make it a 4 bander.  Then they
figured out how to get 4 bands on one board, and I upgraded.  I just wish that
had been an option from the get-go!  Then, I guess, the 4 band board parts
became problematic, and soon the K1 was not viewed as being as desirable as it
once was.  Somewhere along the way the KX1 came along, and that bifurcated
interest as well.  I have one of those too—in fact, I have at least one of
almost everything except a K3S.

The K1 is still a terrific radio.  Even after I replaced it with newer models,
I found it to be a particularly good choice for QRP Field Day!  Now, though,
it’s hard to justify opting for my K1 on Field Day when I have a KX2 and KX3 to
choose from!  Sort of an embarrassment of riches I guess.

Anyway, my plan is to someday present that K1 to some deserving, young, new ham
who needs a radio to get started—just like I did when I first got started.  Of
course, that means I have to identify someone truly interested in CW, but,
well, that’s part of my definition of “deserving”!  Hi.  In the meantime Norm,
keep the “Mojo” going!

Cheers!

Dave W7AQK

From: Norm Lee <marjann...@gmail.com>

Reading through all the posts on this list, it just occurred to me - am I the
last person on earth to be running a K1?
Norm vk5gi
McLaren Vale
South Australia