Speech compression and EQ to get rid of the lower octaves of speech is a wonderful thing, and can increase "talk power" significantly. My starting point with TXEQ for maximum talk power is max cut of the three lowest bands (-18dB), 6 dB cut of the fourth band, 3-6 dB of boost on the top two bands. Do that BEFORE setting compression.

But EXCESSIVE use of compression can be a very BAD thing. I'd be very cautious about using more than an indicated 1-2 dB on voice peaks.  It should NOT be adjusted to a certain number on  the CMP readout, but rather to the meter that shows gain reduction.

Once these settings are done, get signal reports from trained listeners, and tell them to set their RX bandwidth fairly wide.

These two settings -- good low cut of voice frequencies and 10 dB of compression can increase talk power by 13 dB. That's multiplying your effective TX power by 20!

73, Jim K9YC