As K0PP pointed out, the physics of electromagnetic radiation and the radiators that create it have been known for many years.  "New kids on the block" may be antenna and transmission line modeling software, various analyzers, antenna system tools like HFTA, and the like.  Ironically, these sometimes complicate an otherwise simple task ... poke RF into a conductor ... and they may tell you way more than you really need to know, adding to the "if it's not perfect to 4 decimal places, it won't work" syndrome.

A 4-stack of 6 element yagi's or an array of multiple rhombics a la W6AM is obviously going to propel you toward the Honor Role much faster than an OCF wire in your attic.  However, it is not *required* to make Q's and to enjoy HF ham radio.

I had the opportunity to help a new General put up a vertical.  He was obsessing over getting it exactly 43 ft long and getting enough ground radials, when 42 ft would work about as well as 44 ft, and one radial will make a big difference over no radials and two will be better than one, but not twice as better.  I did finally convince him to just put it up, he ran 2 on-ground radials with the intention of adding more, and began using it.  I don't believe he's added any radials yet. [:-)

ARRL has petitioned the FCC for expanded HF segments to encourage new [and younger] Technicians to upgrade.  I'm pretty sure results will be disappointing unless it's accompanied by a robust campaign to teach them it can be easy and inexpensive.

73,
Fred ["Skip"] K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn
Washoe County