Steve,

To me it looks like you have to break into the circuit to find out if the
control loop from VRFDET is working.

A suggestion would be to lift one end of C121 to stop drive to Q6,Q7 and Q8 and
prevent fuse popping. It should then be possible with a small DC voltage via a
pot to simulate the DC generated on the VRFDET line.

If you have a scope you can trace the RF back from Q5 and see why it does not
vary when either the VRFDET voltage or the power control is varied.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

73
Stewart G3RXQ