I'd say initially that you aren't configuring the radio for the best decode.   Here's something I wrote some months earlier.   It might prove worthwhile in your case.  Of course not knowing what bands and your noise conditions is something you'll have to judge for yourself.  You may need to change the TEXT DEC value to a lower or higher value.

As to RF gain, I find many hams do not understand the way to get enhanced performance from their radios.   And this applies to most all legacy radios today.   More RF Gain does not assure one they can or will hear weaker signals.   The story is Signal to Noise ratio, namely in the area of the receiver noise floor.    Since we can't change the RX noise floor, as it is established by design, then we need to change the signal coming into the radio. Typically one wants the no signal band noise to be some 10 dB above the noise floor of the receiver.  And to do this we use a combination of attenuation and RF gain reduction.

To run the math, if the RX noise floor is -135 dBm, typical of most modern radios, then the "sweet spot" for no signal band noise is -125 dBm or about S-1.  The -125 dBm value is 10 dB above the receiver noise floor.    If the no signal band noise is -97 dBm {S-5} then we need a combination of 28 dB attenuation and RF gain reduction.  I typically use 15 dB attenuation and then back the RF gain down a good bit on 75M.  While on 10M and 6M I will switch the attenuation off and engage the preamp.    Running high gain and no attenuation just to see the S meter move upscale is just sucking up receiver headroom and certainly doesn't do anything constructive toward improving signal to noise ratio.

Cranking up the RF gain and adding the preamp in many cases is the wrong way to go.  I hear all the time about stations running the receiver preamp on 80/75 meters.   WOW, they must have a really really low no signal band noise.  Something like -135 dBm. In your dreams.

Hope this helps.

73

Bob, K4TAX