In 2015 I had Shingles of the facial nerve
(Ramsay Hunt Syndrome) and it caused me to
lose 100% of my hearing on the right. Some
came back but I have a -85 dB loss in my
right ear and what I do hear is not what
you hear but attenuated. Noise of any kind
makes it difficult to hear and I have a
pretty much world class stereo that helps
greatly in hearing music but...

Enter BOSE QC35 headphones...

They are absolutely a Godsend when it
comes to hearing. I've been using Bose
headphones for years but the noise
cancelling ability with these are the best
yet. For computer, cell phone & TV I use
its Bluetooth but for the K3s I plug in
and this new generation of QC from Bose
allows them to be passive or with noise
reduction.

As passive headphones they use no power
and work just fine, they do cup the ear
entirely and fit/act much like the ones I
use with target practice.  When plugged
in, Bluetooth is defeated and when you
power them on, the background sound
disappears. My old Alpha is 1' from my
head & on my good ear, with the Heil &
Sony headsets, the fan is competing with
faint signals. With the noise cancelling
turned on, the fan noise is non-existent.
I think I might hear the very faintest
motor noise but I can't swear to it. The
fan noise is totally gone.

I don't think there is a microphone option
when plugged in but when I use the
headsets with the cell phone & I'm next to
the amp, nobody I talk to can hear the fan
so the noise cancelling truly works with
the microphone as well.

I got these from Bose as my old QC15
developed a problem and they don't repair
out of production headsets but they give a
generous price on a current set when you
exchange your broken one. I even bought
the YL a pair of the QC35 II for
Christmas, they're that good. They have a
30 day trial if bought from Bose. I will
say the included plug is miserably short
and I had to buy a longer one from Amazon
but it's a hefty cable and was
inexpensive.

I should add, when you turn on the noise
cancelling & I'm listening to a faint CW
signal, there is apparently zero loss of
signal volume or quality, it's just that
all the ambient sound and the sound like
listening to a seashell you get with over
the ear headphones just vanishes.

YMMV

73,

Gary