I'm glad they (West Mountain speakers) worked for you. Mine were just about as bad as the cheap $10 pair they replaced. Then they just died.

Computer speaks are always hit or miss. I've found Logitech, even the cheap ones, are decent. But there's only so much any tiny amp can handle. I actually found a pair of super efficient non-amplified speakers meant to work off a headphone output. Not a lot of volume. But a lot more than the built-in.

I also built a small speaker enclosure using a plastic utility box with 2 1.25" Mylar speakers driven by one of the now highly common tiny amplifier boards. I shielded and beaded everything. Works great and a fun little project.

73, Doug -- KJ0F

On 12/22/2018 4:20 PM, Ken G Kopp wrote:
I can't speak more highly about my two pairs of West Mountain speakers.

73 !

Ken G Kopp

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Don Wilhelm <donw...@embarqmail.com>
Date: Sat, Dec 22, 2018, 16:15
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] OT: Need Recommendations for Powered Speaker for
KX3 (WU6R)
To: Mark Wheeler <mark3...@icloud.com>, <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>

Mark,

Many computer speakers are quite sensitive to RF and cause that problem.
At my 100 watt power level, I have found the West Mountain Radio
COMspkrs are immune to that problem (they are shielded).  I don't know
what might happen at power levels above 100 watts.

The only thing I don't like about them is the bright blue LED.  I have
mine covered with tape.

73,
Don W3FPR