Jim,

I would have to ask the XV series designer, but he specified that those transistors be mounted above the board. Likely for LO stability, and better separation from the ground plane on the board.

I believe it should work mounted the same way in the XV50. If you find LO instability, then mount it down on the board.

If you scraped the paint from all panels where they contact the 2D connectors and the output jack, there should be little noise conducted to the inside of the transverter.

73,
Don W3FPR