They can put it on a separate module. There's space for at least a
Raspberry Pi Zero in there, so it could be put on a dedicated board of its
own. That way, it wouldn't be software in the main system firmware, it'd be
a separate, optional module with its own license. THAT can be GPL. You can
sell things with GPL software in them, after all. The only thing that would
violate the GPL is if they put the FT8 code in the main firmware.

Gwen, NG3P

--

-+-+-+-+-
Jenny Everywhere's Infinite: Quark Time