And what is wrong with using Flat Rate Priority services?

For a miniplug a small Flat Rate box is $7.20 or a Flat Rate Envelope is $6.70. Those are retail prices and there are discounts even for commercial mailers.

Agree that 1st class mail may be even better at times. Priority Mail does have free boxes and envelopes to factor in.

I have walked away from making a purchase when only high priced UPS was available for delivery.

I purchased a KPA1500 almost as soon as available and got the free shipping. My request was for mail shipping. To Elecraft's credit they honored my request. Three days cross country rather than five "working" days with UPS. I have a POB and admit to being firmly in the USPS camp

73,
Bob
K2TK   ex KN2TKR (1956) & K2TKR