Dick,

You said “My preferred headphone jacks are 1/4", and I've had trouble with
3.5mm to 1/4" adapters from another manufacturer staying solidly
connected.”  I agree, the 1/4” jacks/plugs are more rugged than the 3.5mm
especially for devices like headphones that are constantly
plugged/unplugged.

I rarely use “adapters” except for testing or “emergencies” as they put a
strain on the panel-mounted jack especially if the jack is a 3.5mm
supporting a 1/4” plug.  That is a long “lever” sticking out of the panel
on a tiny plug.  it is prone to damaging the panel jack and can be easily
bent by accidentally bumping it or pulling it sideways with the headphones.

My preference is to use “adapter cables” with a proper mating plug and jack
on a short cord.  It takes the strain off the panel-mounted jack.  The cord
should be long enough so that the jack is laying on the operating desk when
the plug is inserted in the panel jack.  You can buy cords with the proper
plugs and jacks or build them yourself.

This is also applicable to those RJ-45 type mic connectors.  I use a short
CAT5/CAT6 cable with a dual female data coupler to connect the mic to the
rig.  Use an adapter for every mic with a RJ-45 and will probably never
experience a failure of the mic plug clip.  If the adapter cable clip
breaks you only need to replace the short CAT cable jumper.

I have used adapter cords for years and never had damage to any mic or
panel jack.

Ken
WA2LBI

--