Good Day.

Background:

I am assisting a blind ham who also suffers some hearing loss.  I suggested using headphones to attenuate ambient environmental noise as he operates.  The rub is, he needs to hear both his receiver AND his computer (which provides audible feedback when logging contacts and performing other duties.)

Question:

Can anyone suggest a simple passive (or active) mixer circuit schema I can build for him to safely mix audio signals from his transceiver headphone jack with audio signals from his computer sound card headphone jack?

While there are multiple commercially produced simple and complex mixing products in the marketplace, I would prefer to build an inexpensive, small footprint solution we can easily incorporate in his station to minimize clutter and the number of cables, jacks, and controls -- he contends with plenty of that already.   I suppose one solution might be a simple Y-adapter cable, but that seems too easy and I wonder whether we should isolate the signals and/or grounds in some way?  (e.g., I do not wish to cause any "Pin-1" grounding issues, and etc.)

Any traction?   Can anyone point me to an appropriate circuit schematic or other resource?  I don 't mind doing homework, and while I enjoy building stuff and I am familiar with the basic concepts involved,  I could use a leg up on this project, especially to keep it simple and easy to build and implement. Please reply off list if this question is too far off topic, although I suspect there are many hams who might be interested in the result, besides similarly situated disabled operators.

Thank you -  James - K8JHR -