I have three suggestions:

1) If you are feeding the antenna at the precise end of the wire, move the feedpoint out a few feet. That's because you need "the other half of the antenna." Because of the high impedance at this point, only a few feet are needed.

2) Don't connect one side of the ladder line to a ground rod. It doesn't help and will probably hurt. If you want to ground something, ground the shield of the coax at the tuner.

3) Use a good 1:1 balun designed for antenna tuner use between the tuner and the ladder line. Yes, people say you should use a 4:1 balun. Don't listen to them. The impedance at the end of the ladder line will be low on 40m (it's transformed by the near 1/4 wave ladder line). If you use the antenna on other bands it will vary all over the map.

73,
Victor, 4X6GP
Rehovot, Israel
Formerly K2VCO