Bill wrote:

So, this begs this question -- what's the "right" aspect ratios for a
desktop rig?

------------------

And that brings us full-circle to where I started this thread long ago (I
notice that all one has to do to make a thread live forever is to misspell a
word in the subject).

"Form follows function". I was talking about a radio with real controls
sized for a human being with normal hands. A secondary issue for me is that
it doesn't have a lot of multi-purpose controls (buttons that have to be
pressed quickly or slowly, knobs that do two or three different things
depending upon something else, etc.) So in a rig with what most operators
consider the basic necessities, that's a number of controls. Probably at
least as many as the K2 now has, and  maybe half again more.

So we start with a panel big enough for knobs sized for comfortable
operation spaced adequately. We end up with something perhaps 10 X 18
inches. Now we build the radio behind it. A transceiver like the K2/100
probably wouldn't require more than an inch or two deep covering an area
that large. Put everything on one huge PC board so all the parts are easily
accessible for service and general "poking around". Now to put in in a good
position for human operation. Hold it up at about a 50 to 80 degree angle to
the desk. Use a "foot" at the bottom not unlike flat panel displays. Put the
power/antenna/key/mic/computer/etc connectors in the foot so the cables run
directly off the desk.

Others brought up the idea of an SDR. That's a new game. Now it's just like
the power supply, a box under the table. That wasn't what I had in mind
though since I have no interest in computer control. Indeed, I'd rather
avoid the whole complexity of too much digital to analog conversion and vice
versa. I'd rather have knobs that moved wipers on pots and capacitors as
needed for most things, Hi!

Ron AC7AC