I initially sent this to just Pete, but found other posts:
The intent is that the ATU IN LED be illuminated when the ATU is switched in
with the ATU MODE button, and the ATU BYP LED is illuminated when the ATU MODE
is BYPASS and also when the current ATU setting, with ATU IN, is “bypassed”.
Each ATU full search tune checks the bypassed setting first, and if the SWR
with the ATU bypassed is good enough, then “bypassed” is stored as the
preferred ATU setting for that frequency. “Good enough” defaults to 1.2 to 1,
but you can change that with an SWR bypass threshold menu item.
For example, my 20 meter beam is resonant low in the band. Down there both ATU
LEDs are lit. Up the band only the IN LED is lit. I don’t have to remember to
turn the ATU off at the low end, it remembers the bypassed setting.
Early firmware lit one LED or the other, indicating ATU MODE. Field tester
feedback suggested lighting both LEDs when the ATU function was switched in and
the current ATU setting is bypassed.
 73 de Dick, K6KR