Tom,

welcome to the club.   I think anyone who has put together a K2 has such
stories.   In my case I had installed U4 backwards and did not notice it
as the chip has a very pronounced 'dimple' on one end which (for some
reason) made me overlook the notch on the other end.    I spent a week
trying to figure out the problem poring over the troubleshooting steps,
emails to Don, and magnified visual checks against the part location
diagrams.  I never did see that error and sent the rig to Elecraft,
where it was noticed and replaced.

73,
Neil, KN3ILZ