On May 29, 2006, at 8:27 AM, TMorton wrote:

This past weekend during the WPX contest when Searching and Pouncing (S&P) I would run across stations who "CQed" in my face when I was zero beat and hear them come back to stations as much as .20 below their freq. That's when I would run the XIT down to match where their last qso took place and successfully work the guy. Much quicker and faster than hitting split in this case.

I've done this too, especially on 160m.

I think the basic problem is that guys crank in their tightest filters, and then they can't hear very far to each side.

I don't use the XIT, but instead just grab the big knob and fish around a bit, calling both higher and lower than zero beat.

Another time is when the other station has his filters cranked down really tight and I have to move my transmit freq to get inside his passband. Most contesters use 500 or even 700 hz filters when "running" and let their brain be the final filter.

This weekend I kept my K2/100 on the 400 Hz filter, and cranked in the DSP filter of the same bandwidth, too. Much easier to find a clear frequency to CQ on that way. <grin>

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901