Anyone interested in magloops should visit www.alexloop.com  by Alex, PY1AHD.
He has really pioneered the popularity of small, portable loops and has built
many  experimental loops.  There is a video of him setting up an AlexLoop in 90
seconds (not rushed) at www.alexloop.com
A magloop inside a backpack next to the human body probably won't work because
the loop is detuned by the human, and that tuning varies with the distance.  If
you are walking, tuning would be difficult because the pack will jiggle,
varying the distance--unless you could glide motionless over the ground (or
water).  I suspect Wayne could do this, but probably not in public.  Even when
you use a magloop on a tripod, you have to tune it using an offset so it is in
the right place when you step away.  This quickly becomes intuitive once you
know how much, and which way, to turn the tuning capacitor.
However, a loop mounted above the backpack, say on a folding stick, works and
has been done.  See www.alexloop.com
A small loop does work--I have made contacts on a 3ft diameter AlexLoop on 40m
SSB with 5w.  On 20m, it could be smaller and still work, though obviously with
less efficiency.
The advantage of magloops is their small size, quick setup, and needing neither
a counterpoise nor more height above ground than one loop diameter.  If you go
to a public park and want to talk to a ranger, setting up a magloop will
materialize one as if by magic.  Magloops are terrific chick magnets, kid
magnets, and will get you in heated arguments with people who have never used
one.
I have no commercial relationship with Alex, PY1AHD, but I count him as a
mentor and friend.  Really, look at the portable magloops on his website.
www.alexloop.com
73 Eric WD6DBM

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android