Andy:

If the RF power is high enough, and the bypass SWR is high enough, the ATU will
fault and interrupt the amp key line. I’m away from the code right now, but we
named this fault something like “power too high for bypass SWR”.

This is distinct from another SWR-related fault when the matched SWR, as seen
by the amp, exceeds a threshold. This is the “amp key interrupt threshold”, and
you can set that.  Some users want this out of the way, they trust the amp to
protect itself, so they set this to 99:1. I think it defaults to 3:1.

There are two SWR-related faults, both interrupt the amp key line.  One is
based on SWR as seen by the amp.  The other is the SWR of the antenna, measured
with the ATU bypassed, the bypass SWR, with RF power too high.

If the SWR seen by the amp is low enough, the amp doesn’t care what the bypass
SWR is, as the amp doesn't see that SWR.

ATU components have voltage and current ratings that might be exceeded if
higher power is permitted with a difficult load. This is why 10:1 bypass SWR
can’t be allowed at 1000 watts, even if the SWR seen by the amp is 1.000 to 1.

It is inconvenient (sometimes impossible) and too slow to measure bypass SWR
every time a tuning solution is recalled.  So this bypass SWR is measured
during a full search tune and is retained in the stored ATU setting.

I’m on vacation and we are about to head out, so I’ll need to let this go for a
while.

73 de Dick, K6KR