Steve - I normally use an iMac (27”) here in the shack with WSJT-X and in the
past have flip-flopped between a KX3 and my K3. Sold the KX3 and now use a KX2
alternately with the K3. In 2016 I took my KX3 to the southern Philippines
along with a MacBook Pro Retina and used it with WSJT-X. The external audio “
sound card” I use is a Tascam US-125M.

So, what you get will dictate what you’ll need to acquire, if anything. Several
years ago Apple made a change in their OS in how it handles USB-2. Basically
they screwed it up. And they are not inclined to fix it. From that point on
there have been a bazillion Mac users (including myself) that are going along
with digital modes working fine and all of a sudden, the audio starts coming
out the internal speakers instead of the sound card. Numerous work-arounds are
out there - the one I have been very successful with is to change the sampling
rate to 44,000. This issue, from what I’ve heard, does not affect USB-3. If you
get a relatively new Mac and it has USB-3, you’ll probably be OK. My iMac does
not, so I use USB-2 and 99.9% of the time I’m OK. My MacBook Pro does not have
USB-3, but it DOES have a Thunderbolt port. I got a Thunderbolt to USB
converter on Amazon and that took care of this problem on the laptop.

Hope that helps.

p.s. - be sure you’ve got a beefy heatsink on that KX3 if you plan on running
it barefoot at 15 watts on digital. The one that came with my KX3 (serial
number 5539) wasn't up to the task and after a few minutes would fold back to 5
watts. This was prior to FT8 - the JT65 and JT9 modes run for considerably
longer and do cause heat build-up. I eventually got a third-party heat sink and
never had a problem with fold-back afterwards.

73, Jim / W6JHB

> On   Sunday, Jan 27, 2019, at  Sunday, 9:08 AM, Steve Grimaud (Gmail)
> <steve.grim...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'm trying to find a good new or used Macbook or Mac mini to begin using with
> my KX3. I had used a PC with ASUS Xonar U7 and/or Signalink USB. What will I
> need to keep, drop or use in a different way to get a Mac unit working with
> my KX3? I'm especially interested in digital signals. Who here knows what
> works best.
>
> 73
>
> Steve w3swg
>
> --