Elliott,

That voltage appears to be lower than I would expect - but do you have the
KPA100 mounted in the EC2 enclosure with the KAT100 or are you connecting
the ribbon cable directly to the K2?

You may want to check the continuity on the 8R signal as it comes from the
K2 - it should be close to 8 volts at the K2 end.  Your 'almost 4 volts'
reading will likely work OK, since the KPA100 microprocessor appears to use
this only as a digital signal, and the important thing is that it be high
enough to avoid noise problems on the signal line (and the resulting false
detection of a low state) - so check the resistance of the 8R signal from
the K2 to the KPA100 (you should expect a low value) - if the resistance is
substantial, check your cables and connections carefully.

73,
Don W3FPR